ABOUT EARLY LITERACY
Early literacy is the foundation of success. Judson ISD is committed to developing reading and writing skills within the early learning classrooms that will help all young learners be successful at school and beyond.
Early Literacy Board Goals
The percent of 3rd grade students that score meets grade level or above on STAAR Reading will increase from 35% to 70% by June 2024.
- K-2 grade teachers will directly instruct the daily phonics lesson plans provided in the curricular documents.
- K-2 grade teachers will implement the daily blending routine.
- PK-2 grade teachers will provide small group lessons as indicated by their grade specific assessment tool.
- K-1 grade teachers will provide students with decodable text when students are applying newly instructed phonics skills.
- K-3 teachers will follow the ELAR district framework when developing the instructional schedule.
- RtI teachers will follow district lesson frame associated with SPIRE materials while providing daily ELA intervention to identified students.
Early Numeracy Board Goals
The percent of 3rd grade students that score meets grade level or above on STAAR Math will increase from 44% to 75% by June 2024.
- Provide instruction along a continuum from Concrete to Representational to Abstract.
- Use manipulatives at all grade levels when new content is introduced.
- Use the math framework components to provide structure, stability, and consistency.
- Provide targeted instruction in numeracy and place value.
- Use Imagine Math as a means of collecting data.
- Provide small group instruction as a means to differentiate content, process, and/or product.