GOVERNING STUDENT CONDUCT ON JISD SCHOOL BUSES: A pupil riding or waiting on an JISD School Bus is under the supervision of the Judson ISD Schools the same as if the pupil is in the school building or on the school grounds, and therefore, is subject to the student disciplinary policies of JISD. Please discuss the following information with your child.
For a complete list or safety rules, please review Bus Rider's Safety Handbook .
Student's Behavior Rules
- Respect self, others and property!
- For the safety of everyone, behave appropriately with no loud noises.
- Cooperate with the Bus Driver and others.
- Enter and exit the bus in an orderly fashion.
- Transportation employees have the authority to assign seats at any time.
- Stay in your assigned seat, facing forward.
- Keep hands, head, and feet inside the bus.
- Do not drop or throw objects inside or outside the bus.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus. (Except water)
- Do not litter on the bus.
- No inappropriate language.
- No weapons, alcohol, or drugs including tobacco.
- No physical or verbal altercations.
- No skateboards.
- Buckle up at all times if seatbelts are available.
Consequences for Violations
If any of the above student behavior rules are broken, the Bus Driver will make a referral of the violation to the principal and the following disciplinary action will be taken:
- 1st Violation: Principal or assistant will conference with student Suspension from the bus may occur with this violation. Parents or guardians will be notified.
- 2nd Violation: Student will be suspended from the bus for three school days. Parents or guardian will be notified.
- 3rd Violation: Student will be suspended from the bus for an extended period of time until agreement can be reached between parents, guardians, administrator, bus driver; transportation supervisor, and student.
- Serious offenses will receive disciplinary measures, up to and including removal to an alternative education program and /or expulsion from school. Each case, however, will be judged separately and may warrant discipline of a type different from another case.
- Read and discuss with your child(ren) the responsibilities, behavior rules, and violation consequences covered by the JISD Guidelines Governing Student Conduct on JISD School Buses.
- Inform your child(ren) of the location of bus stop, time and to wait in a single line.
- Require your child(ren) to arrive 5 minutes prior to scheduled time and to conduct themselves appropriately on school buses.
- Support the school officials in their efforts to operate a safe and efficient transportation system.
IMPORTANT: PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING TRANSPORTATION FOR THE STUDENT TO ATTEND SCHOOL DURING SUSPENSION FROM THE BUS. THIS IS NOT A SUSPENSION FROM CLASS. IF STUDENT DOES NOT ATTEND SCHOOL AFTER SUSPENSION FROM THE BUS, THE ABSENCE IS UNEXCUSED.
- Inform parents and students of school bus rules and consequences of violations.
- Investigate all complaints and referrals.
- Confer with students, parent, and bus driver when appropriate.
- Be present or appoint a designated representative to be at the campus-loading zone during arrival and departure times.
- Meet with the drivers at the beginning of each school year and as needed throughout the year to discuss loading procedures, safety concerns, discipline procedures, etc...
- Maintain in the school office current schedules and rider information of all buses assigned to the campus. This information should be current by the end of the first week of school.
- Provide students with Blue Slips as needed.
- OPERATE THE BUS SAFELY.
- Be on the bus to supervise the daily boarding and de-boarding of students and follow campus procedure.
- Within the first two weeks of school discuss safety, evacuation procedures, and guidelines governing student conduct on JISD school buses with students.
- After the first verbal warning to the student, write a referral for any subsequent violations and give to a school official or their designated box and to the transportation department.
- Assign seats, maintain a current seating chart.
- Call the Dispatcher for any needed guidance.
Student Management Specialist
A Student Management Specialist uses restorative practices to build and maintain relationships between students, teachers, and parents. They help students to grow and to improve behavior while creating individual interventions for students.
Video Safety Specialist
A Video Safety Specialist is responsible for assembling recorded raw material from the school bus camera system for internal purposes regarding safety issues on a school bus.