JISD Homework Expectations for 1st Grade:
• Work assigned to be completed at home will be evaluated as homework and recorded in the homework section of the grade book.
• Homework will be a review or reinforcement of skills already covered in the classroom and wil not be new information for the student.
• Homework will not exceed 30 minutes nightly, at least 15 minutes of reading is included within the 30 minutes.
Your child will receive a math practice page and reading/english practice page on Mondays in their folder and will be due each Friday. Each page has 4-5 problems for them to complete over the week. They can do one a day and spread it out or they can do math one day and reading/englsh another day if they like. They have all week to complete the problems. These problems are simple quick problems and are a review of our classwork. They will also receive a list of spelling and sightwords to practice for a test on Friday over those spelling words. Your child is also expected to read each day for at least 15 minutes.
Grading categories and weights are to be as follows:
Grading exceptions are to be made for the first week of school, district-wide assessments, and state testing weeks. All assignments must be weighted on a 100 point scale. Furthermore, all Grading Categories must be included in the average of final nine-week grade. Project grades may also be included.
Grades 1-5 Teachers are expected to record a minimum of two grades from either category below per week for in each content area.
• Tests/Major Projects/Quizzes 40% Minimum of 2 per nine weeks*
• Daily Assignments: 60% Minimum of 1 per week in each content area
*The first test must be entered in the electronic grade book no later than the end of the 4th week of the nineweek grading period.
Spelling grades will be entered under the reading or writing content area.