When to Keep Children Home
- Fevers over 100 degrees
- Any physician diagnosed contagious disease
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Impetigo (until treatment is started)
- Ring worm (until treatment is started)
- COVID related infection or exposure
*It is recommended that children be sent to school if they have any other condition not listed above.
If you have questions or need clarification, please contact the clinic at (210) 661-1120
Illnesses and when to keep your student home
Here are a few tips to help you keep your children healthy and to minimize illness from spreading at school:
- Students with 100 degree or more temperature is considered a fever and will be sent home. The student should remain at home until they are fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT fever reducing medications (Tylenol or Motrin)
- Medication at school must be in original container with specific instructions, name of student, physician, name of medication, dose and time. A signed parent consent form must also be signed. Parents MUST bring the medication to school; please do not send medication in your child’s backpack. Non-prescription medications will NOT be administered unless written instructions from a physician and signed parent consent are presented to clinic.
- Please inform the clinic of any health problems/concerns so appropriate forms can be completed. School personnel will provide first aid for injuries/illness that occurs at school only. Injuries from home should be taken care of at home.
- It is the parent’s responsibility to provide the school with CURRENT phone numbers and emergency contact information. If a parent cannot be reached for seriously ill or injured children, the child will be transported by EMS and JISD does NOT assume any financial responsibility.
- Dietary modifications require a special dietary from that must be filled out and signed by a physician. Dietary substitutions for preference, etc. are the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- When a child does not feel well or has a minor injury he/she must get a clinic pass from their teacher.