Spanish Immersion Program
What Is JISD's Spanish Immersion Program?
The Spanish Immersion Program is designed for English-speaking students who wish to become fluent in Spanish. Students enter the program in first grade. Spanish Immersion teachers follow a scope and sequence for Language Arts that is unique to meet the goals of the program. The scope and sequence for mathematics, science, and social studies match a traditional English speaking classroom with the only difference being Spanish as the language of instruction. The inherent nature of these programs creates an active parent-school partnership, which is essential for the success of the program and the student.
How Will My Child Benefit From Spanish Immersion?
Total immersion is the most effective way of developing foreign language proficiency. The intensity of the immersion experience coupled with the amount of exposure to the foreign language ensures that students have the necessary language skills to deal with the curriculum as they proceed through the elementary grades.
Surrounding districts data - 100% of Spanish Immersion Students consistently meet State Standards in Standardized Testing
Spanish Immersion students often outperform their peers in the general education classrooms.
Is Spanish Immersion a Good Fit for My Child?
Things to Consider:
- Teacher Recommendation - Kindergarten teachers will have great insight on your child's ability to be successful in a challenging new environment.
- Student Behavior - Behavior concerns should be considered by parents carefully. Students with language impairments or processing difficulties may struggle.
- Parental Commitment - Attendance is a crucial part of student success. Students with excessive absences and tardies are not encouraged to participate.
Who Is Eligible To Participate?
- Student must be entering 1st grade
- Score 80% or above on TX KEA subsets and/or level 6 or above on Developmental Reading Assessment
- Attend one informational meeting and submit application by May 29th.
- Students will acquire the Spanish language.
- Students will demonstrate academic achievement at or above grade level as measured by formal and informal assessments. We assess along the way to check for progress in English.
- Teachers will ensure student success in content knowledge and fluency in Spanish.
- A partnership between parents, teachers, and administration will create bilingual, bi-literate, and bicultural students.
- JISD will recruit and retain highly qualified staff and provide sufficient resources to support program success.
- (library books, literacy library, technology, classroom materials)
ENROLL YOUR CHILD TODAY!
Please join us for our information meetings on February 17th and March 16th from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm, and March 27th at 10:00 am. Parents are only required to attend one information meeting. We hope you will consider registering your child in our enrichment program and taking advantage of this amazing opportunity for your child to become bilingual!