About Thunderbird STEM Academy
Thunderbird STEM Academy-
Our Goal: Providing Opportunities for Students to Become College-ready Graduates Interested in Studying and Entering STEM Careers.
Thunderbird STEM Academy, started in 2017, provides students (grades 9 through 12) the opportunity to complete a course of study that combines high school and post-secondary courses utilizing a school within a school model. Our Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH) is an innovative open-enrollment high school that allows students to receive tailored courses that fit their STEM interests and future careers. Our program provides students with a seamless path from high school to post-secondary education and/or to employment. The Thunderbird STEM Academy offers students rigorous instruction and accelerated coursework to gain college credit and earn industry certifications. Students earn a high school diploma, work credentials, and professional certificates. Students also engage in work-based education at every grade level, such as internships, apprenticeships, or other forms of job training programs.
P-TECH Program Overview:
- Partner with Texas Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs) and regional businesses and industries, giving students access to post-secondary education and workforce training opportunities
- Align to regional workforce needs, guiding students into high-demand, high-wage careers
- Enroll historically underserved students, targeting at-risk and economically disadvantaged
- Enable students to earn a high school diploma, college credits, along with a Level 1 or Level 2 certificate, or industry-based certificates within 4 years
- Offer age-appropriate work-based learning opportunities at every grade level
- Allow students to gain work experience through an internship, apprenticeship, or other job training program
The Thunderbird STEM Academy Benefits:
School with a School Model
- Students are maintained as a cohort to the greatest extent possible.
- Available to students at no cost!
- AM & PM shuttle bus transportation to WHS is available from select middle and high school campuses. (Pick-up and drop-off stops are determined by JISD transportation https://www.judsonisd.org/Page/35288)
- All CTE and extracurricular classes are available to STEM students.
Earn a High School Diploma & More!
- Technology is integrated throughout with students using one-to-one devices.
- Boosted GPA: All core classes are Honors, AP, or dual credit.
- Students can receive a STEM endorsement for taking four consecutive courses on a STEM pathway.
- Earn up to 60 hours of tuition-free college credit
Career and Technology Education
- Earn career and technology certifications (full list: https://www.judsonisd.org/Page/16086)
- Develop workplace skills through mentorships and internships with industry partners
- Project Lead the Way Engineering, Biomedical Science, and Computer Science Courses are offered.
- Pick your pathway: Engineering, Computer Science, Biomedical Science
Enter Job Market with Work-Ready Skills
- Field trips, job shadowing, and other experiences are provided.
- STEM professional guest speakers.
- Work-Based Learning through job shadowing and hands-on experiences.
- Community service expectation.
- Partnerships with community businesses.
*(originally started as a TEA Designated T-STEM, now a TEA Designated P-TECH)