The Judson Visual Arts Department seeks to empower students through educating, encouraging, and allowing the creative expression inherent within each individual. Art students will be challenged to find their creative center through imagination, effort, problem solving, and reflexive thinking in order to foster a lifelong involvement in artistic as well as scholastic pursuits.
Art is a hands-on learning experience.
- We discuss what makes art, ART.
- We learn techniques to create ART. We develop our own flare!
- We step back in time and take a close look at some of the world’s most famous works of art and meet the artists whose talent made history.
- We learn art vocabulary.
- We explore a variety of mediums using many types of media.
- We THINK to CREATE!
- Projects/Tests- 40%
- Daily Work /Sketch Book Warm Ups/Participation- 50%
- Homework- 10%
- Daily Grades include preparatory activities, daily completion activities, class discussions/participation, using media techniques appropriately, art supply management, completion of sketchbook assignments and quizzes.
- Sketchbook Warm-Ups: A weekly grade is taken the day of the school week based on the completion of your daily sketchbook warm ups.
- It is important to begin immediately upon entering the room without being told.
- Sketchbook Expectations:
Drawings mustﬁll the entire space
Drawings must show attention to detail and shading
- Art Projects: Projects are evaluated using a rubric based on composition, craftsmanship, demonstrating technique, and meeting assignment criteria.
- Projects are designed to be completed during class times; however, students who need extra time to finish for any reason will need to make arrangements.
- Verbal Warning
- Teacher documentation and phone call home.
- Parent /Teacher/student conference
- Office referral
*If a student is severely disruptive, they will be sent immediately to the office.