Response to Intervention (RtI)/GIST
What is Response to Intervention (RTI)?
Response to Intervention, RTI, is a three-tier prevention, early identification and intervention strategy provided by the general education teacher in the general education classroom. It is based on the concept of providing evidence-based instructional and behavioral strategies by highly qualified staff that specifically addresses the needs of the student and is monitored and reviewed frequently. The information collected during the RTI process is used to make informed educational decisions regarding the student’s educational program.
All students are monitored to make sure they are learning and meeting the expected goals of their current grade level. If students are identified as struggling or “at-risk”, they are provided the support needed to learn. Progress is frequently monitored and reviewed.
What is the Goal of RTI?
- Intervene early and prevent academic failure
- Implement evidence-based interventions for all students
- Decrease the number of unnecessary referrals to special education
- Take a proactive approach rather than reactive to student difficulties
- Increase parent participation at all tier levels
- Encourage teachers to use data to make informed instructional decisions
What are the Key Features of RTI?
- High Quality Standards Aligned and Research-Based Instruction and Behavioral Support in General Education
- Universal Screenings of Academics and Behavior
- Data-Based Decision-Making
- Progress Monitoring to monitor student performance, determine intervention effectiveness, drive instructional adjustments, and to identify/measure progress toward expected instructional and grade level goals.
- Benchmark and Outcome Assessments: to assess student progress periodically throughout the school year and at the end of the year against grade level benchmarks and standards.
- Tiered Interventions: Increasingly, intense levels of targeted, scientifically research-based interventions based on student needs.
- Parental Engagement at every tier level.