The TSTEM Academy is currently in its third year serving 165 9th-11th grade students that go through rigorous instruction and accelerated coursework. Our goal is to produce college ready graduates that are interested in studying and entering STEM careers. Next year the Class of 2021 will be our first graduating cohort of students.
TSTEM offers various benefits to its students:
- The TSTEM program follows a school within a school model.
- Available to students at no cost!
- AM & PM shuttle bus transportation to Wagner is available from select middle and high school campuses. (Pick up and drop off stops are determined by JISD transportation)
- Students are maintained as a cohort to the greatest extent possible.
- Project Based Learning (PBL) is used throughout the core classes.
- Technology is integrated throughout with students using one to one devices.
- Boosted GPA: All core classes are Honors, AP, or dual credit.
- Field trips, job shadowing, and other experiences are provided.
- All CTE and extracurricular classes are available to STEM Students.
- Students can receive a STEM endorsement for taking three consecutive courses in a STEM pathway.
- Project Lead the Way Engineering and Computer Science Courses offered.
- Guest Speakers by STEM professionals.
- Work Based Learning through job shadowing and hands on experiences.
- Community service expectation.
- Partnerships with community businesses.
College credit can be earned through a variety of AP and Dual Credit Classes!
Dual Credit Opportunities (Up to 35 hours available):
- English 1301/1302
- English 2322/2323
- U.S. History 1301/1302
- College Algebra
- Physics I & II through UT OnRamps
- Texas Government
- Art Appreciation
Advanced Placement Opportunities:
- English III and English IV
- Calculus AB and Calculus BC
- Music Theory
- Computer Science A
- Computer Science Principles
- U.S. Government
- World History
- U.S. History
- European History
- Human Geography
- Biology II
- Physics I and II
- Spanish IV and V
- Environmental Science
STEM students can still participate in a variety of extracurricular opportunities:
- Cross Country
- Color Guard
- National Society of Black Engineers Jr. Chapter (NSBE)
- Business Professionals of America (BPA)
- Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA)
- SAWS Impact Team
- TSTEM Student Council
- Wagner Student Council
- Gaming Club
- Fashion Club
- Anime Club
- Book Club
- Art Club & so much more!
Click the link below to watch a student made recruitment video! ☺
If you have any questions, please contact the TSTEM Coordinator, Ms. Valerie Pecina, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (210)662-5000 ext. 17624.