ABOUT EARLY LITERACY
Early literacy is the foundation of success. Judson ISD is committed to developing reading and writing skills within the early learning classrooms that will help all young learners be successful at school and beyond.
EARLY CHILDHOOD GOALS
House Bill 3 directs districts to develop and implement an early childhood long range plan. Judson has reviewed our data, identified growth targets for both reading and math, and developed a district wide plan to help our students achieve a new level of academic success. Our plan, in conjunction with professional development in the science of reading, will benefit our students for years to come. Below are the Judson ISD board adopted early childhood goals for reading and math.
Early Literacy Board Goals
The percent of 3rd grade students that score meets grade level or above on STAAR Reading will increase from 42% to 70% by June 2024.
- K-2 grade teachers will directly instruct the daily phonics lesson plans provided in the curricular documents.
- K-2 grade teachers will implement the daily blending routine.
- PK-2 grade teachers will provide small group lessons as indicated by their grade specific assessment tool.
- K-1 grade teachers will provide students with decodable text when students are applying newly instructed phonics skills.
- K-3 teachers will follow the ELAR district framework.
Early Numeracy Board Goals
The percent of 3rd grade students that score meets grade level or above on STAAR Math will increase from 46% to 70% by June 2024.
- Provide instruction along a continuum from Concrete to Representational to Abstract.
- Use manipulatives at all grade levels when new content is introduced.
- Use the math framework components to provide structure, stability, and consistency.
- Provide targeted instruction in numeracy and place value.
- Provide small group instruction as a means to differentiate content, process, and/or product.
Candlewood Elementary Early Learning Literacy Goals 2020-2021
K-2 grade teachers will directly instruct the daily phonics lesson plans provided in the curricular documents.K-2 grade teachers will implement the daily blending routine following the guidance video provided through Canvas.PK-2 grade teachers will provide the students grouped through the benchmark assessment with the support lessons indicated in their grade specific assessment tool.K-1 grade teachers will provide students with decodable text when students are applying newly instructed phonics skills.K-3 teachers will follow the ELAR district frameworks when developing the instructional schedule.RtI teachers will follow the district lesson frame associated with SPIRE materials while providing daily ELA intervention to identified students.