Board Briefs 2/20/13
1. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER
A. Roll Call, Establishment of Quorum, Invocation, Pledge of Allegiance
3. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF VISITORS/CITIZENS TO BE HEARD
Kirby Mayor Wilson re KMS reconstruction
4. CONSIDERATION OF CONSENT ITEMS
Motioned by Adair, seconded by Flores
A. Consider and take action regarding approval of Board Minutes for the Regular Board Meetings held on December 20, 2012
Pulled by Adair to March meeting.
B. Consider and take action regarding approval of Monthly Financial Information as of January 31, 2013
C. Consider and take action regarding approval of Amendments to the Budget for the 2013 Fiscal Year
D. Consider and take action regarding Quarterly Cash Investment Report for all Funds as of December 31, 2012
E. Consider and take action regarding approval of a Budget Amendment to the General Operating Fund for Architectural and Engineering Fees for the Evans Road High School Project
F. Consider and take action to Order a Regular Trustee Election for Districts 2, 3, 4 and 5 on May 11, 2013 Passed
G. Consider and take action to authorize the Superintendent to Enter into all Contracts and Agreements Necessary for the May 11, 2013 Trustee Election and to Seek any Necessary Preclearance with the Department of Justice Pulled by Macias for discussion, passed unanimously.
H. Consider and take action regarding approval of the Class-Size Waiver Report for Kinder through Fourth Grade Classes 2012 – 2013
Pulled by Macias for discussion, passed unanimously.
I. Consider and take action regarding approval of the 2013 - 2014 Academic Calendar
J. Consider and take action regarding approval of a Proclamation to Declare February 2013 Career & Technical Education Month
K. Consider and take action regarding approval of the Establishing of the Position of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Systems Administrator
Pulled by Adair for discussion, passed unanimously.
L. Consider and take action regarding approval of Establishing the Position of the Special Programs and Compliance Coordinator
Pulled by Macias for discussion, passed unanimously.
M. Consider and take action regarding approval of Professional Development Appraisal System (PDAS) Appraisers
N. Consider and take action regarding approval of Statements of Impact Submitted by the Following Schools:
- KIPP, Inc. Charter School
- San Antonio School for Inquiry and Creativity
- Somerset Academy, Inc. dba Brooks Academy of Science and Engineering
- Southwest Preparatory School District
- New Frontiers Charter School
- University of Texas - University Charter School
- IDEA Public Schools
- Imagine Educational Foundation, dba Lighthouse Charter School
Pulled by Salyer for discussion, not passed.
5. DISCUSSION ITEMS/REPORTS
A. Superintendent Report
1. Bexar County Appraisal District Presentation on JW Marriott Property
2. State Board of Education Presentation
3. C-Scope Presentation
4. Funding Options for Kirby Middle School 200 Building Reconstruction
B. Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Presentation
C. Policy Update 96, Affecting Legal and Local Policies (see attached list) - First Reading
1. BAA(LEGAL) - Board Legal Status - Powers and Duties
2. BBD(EXHIBIT) - Board Members - Training and Orientation
3. BDD(LEGAL) - Board Internal Organization - Attorney
4. DAA(LEGAL) - Employment Objectives - Equal Employment Opportunities
5. DEC(LEGAL) and (LOCAL) - Compensation and Benefits - Leaves and Absences
6. EFAA(LEGAL) and (LOCAL) - Instructional Materials - Selection and Adoption
7. FEA(LEGAL) - Attendance - Compulsory Attendance
8. FEB(LEGAL) and (LOCAL) - Attendance - Attendance and Accounting
D. Update on Board Advisory Committees
E. Update on Board Training, Conferences, Events and Consider Future Agenda Item Requests by Board Members
6. DISCUSSION/CONSIDERATION OF ACTION ITEMS
A. Consider and take possible action regarding approval of the Demolition of the 200 Building at Kirby Middle School
Motioned by Flores, seconded by Salyer, motion passed unanimously.
B. Consider and take possible action regarding approval of the Ranking for Architectural Services for the Reconstruction of Building 200 at Kirby Middle School and a Related Budget Amendment to the General Operating Fund
Motioned by Salyer, seconded by Adair, motion passed unanimously.
C. Consider and take possible action regarding approval of the Distribution of a One Time Incentive for Teachers who Announce their Resignation and have Served 20 + Years in Education Effective the end of the 2012-13 Academic Year. Notice Given in January 2013 will Receive $4,000.00, Notice Given in February 2013 will Receive $3,000.00, and Notice Given in March - April 2013 Prior to April 18th, 2013, will Receive $2,000.00
Item pulled during Closed Session.
D. Consider and take possible action(s) regarding approval of the Personnel Report and Updates Including New Hires, Resignations and Administrative Appointments
Motioned by LaFoille, seconded by Adair, motion passed unanimously.
7. CLOSED SESSION
A. Pursuant to Texas Government Code Section 551.074, Discussing Personnel
Board adjourned into Closed Session at 7:18 p.m. and reconvened into Open Session at 7:39 p.m.
8. CONSIDER AND TAKE POSSIBLE ACTION(S) REGARDING ITEMS DISCUSSED IN CLOSED SESSION
A. Consider and take possible action(s) regarding Personnel
No action was taken while in Closed Session.